The QUIZ CUP OF NEW YORK (QCNY) is a live trivia contest taking place at TriviaNYC locations across New York City, from the week starting Saturday, September 14, 2019 and running for an eight-week season. Teams that play every week can accumulate points that will earn them the chance to win assorted prizes, including packages from a wide array of prize sponsors, large and small.
– During the regular season, you’re allowed a maximum of one (1) non-registered substitute per night.
– Not everyone on your team has to show up for every event. If only one player on your team can make a quiz in a given week, as long as they are credentialed, their score would count toward your team’s totals.
– Note: At our events where team size is limited to a fewer number of players per team (due to room limitations), that rule must be respected. Those nights will be noted in our schedule by a [*4] or a [*5] on the site’s page and in the schedule. If you have any question about this, feel free to contact us. We don’t want you to be surprised. Don’t be the team this will inevitably happen to.
– Your team may play any night, any time, and win whatever prizes are offered at that night, just like usual. QCNY is an extra, larger contest running at the same time as our regular quiz.
– You may play as many nights during a given week as you like. Only your best score will count for that week, but the more shots you give yourself, the better your chances of moving up the table!
– The regular trivia night plays the same way it always does. The most points accumulated over the course of the night decides the winners, and the bar tabs, books, tickets and other regular prizes shall be given out accordingly.
– The QCNY score is also totaled up at the end of the night, by calculating a percentage of a perfect score. For example: If a perfect score is 56 points, and you get 45, you’ve scored 80.3% of the possible points on the evening, and so you’d get 80.3 QCNY points. Some nights tally more points than others, so this evens out that playing field.
– BONUS: On top of that score, a bonus will be given to teams that win their night.
-First place at a given location will receive TEN (10) bonus points.
-Second place will receive NINE (9) bonus points.
-Third Place will receive EIGHT (8) bonus points…
-And on down it goes to tenth place, which will get ONE (1) bonus point.
– The result is that a perfect score on any given night is 100 points (for scoring 100% of the possible points) + 10 bonus points for 1st place = 110 points. (Note: In twelve years and close to 10,000 TriviaNYC teams, a 110-point score would have happened exactly once. If you manage to break 100 points in a given week, that’s a fine score indeed.)
– Non-QCNY teams will be playing right along with you. You’re playing against them as well as your fellow Quiz Cuppers. If you finish third behind two non-Cup teams, you still only get third place points.
– In venues where bonus points are regularly given for activities outside the regular quiz (for example: shots-for-points, side games, or other venue-specific bonuses), we will adjust your scores accordingly for your tournament tally. Most elements are common to all of TriviaNYC’s venues, but you must play the game as it is played, in the venue where you are.
– These scores are added up, week by week, and the fifteen (15) top scoring teams over the course of the season will earn prizes.
– You’re free to play more than once per week, but only your best score from any one week will count. A week runs Sunday through Saturday. If you don’t do well early in the week, feel free to come back to a different Trivia NYC night later on that same week and try again.
– In the case of cancellations or weather emergencies, officially, you’re on your own. Our network is always growing, and we will do our best to accommodate the spirit of the competition to all circumstances, but keep in mind that natural disasters sometimes happen, venues open and close all the time, the MTA is a fickle master, Jay-Z might book an entire restaurant because he wants to ensure he wins at our trivia night, Godzilla may accidentally step on a couple of neighborhoods; things happen. You’re responsible for getting your games in, but we promise to be as there for you as we possibly can, as we have been for well over a decade now.
– Teams are capped at SIX (6) players per team, though fewer than that is fine. Quiz Cup teams are allowed ONE (1) substitute on regular game weeks, as denoted by the players wearing their QCNY buttons.
A Final Note
1. This league is still in early planning stages, and we reserve the right to revise rules if and as necessary. We’ll do our very best to not affect the flow of the season in any way, and if there are any adjustments, they’ll be made in good faith. Some days the questions will play toward you, while other times, the questions will play away from you. A great trivia team will fill in each other’s gaps on various topics, and become a coherent, worldly whole, regardless of what the quizmaster throws at them.
2. Consider this the don’t-be-a-dick clause: TriviaNYC, its sponsors, and its member venues all reserve the right to eject any team if they exhibit behavior that is abusive or dangerous to other players, bar staff, hosts or anyone related to the trivia event. And in case it needs to be said: If you are caught cheating in any way, you will be disqualified from the tournament.
3. This may be a competition, with cash prizes and maybe getting your picture in the paper, but this is also a fun pastime. Even with the Grand Prizes, we’re not giving away real estate. Enjoy yourselves, and you’ll get a lot more out of trivia in general, and QCNY in particular. By joining The Quiz Cup of New York, you’re now part of a special group, getting in on the ground floor of something special that is only going to grow. Have fun. It’s the fun bits you’ll tell your kids about one day.
By signing up for QCNY, you affirm that you’ve read all of this and agree to it. Now, get to quizzing.